Mutebile is a Ugandan economist and banker. He was the governor of the Bank of Uganda until January 2022.
Other names: Kirenga Baryabota
Born in Kabale, South Western Uganda in a peasant family of 9 children.
Wife: Betty Amooti Mutebile
Children: Duncan Tumusiime
1) Kigezi College for “O” Level
2) Makerere College School for his “A” Level
3) Makerere University (1970) for economics and politics (where he was elected guild president) However he was forced to flee Uganda in 1972 after his criticism for Idi Amin's expulsion of the Indians. He fled to England through Tanzania, and was able to finish his studies at Durham University.
4) Mutebile began his post graduate studies at Balliol College, Oxford. He lectured and conducted research at the University of Dar es Salaam while pursuing his doctorate in economics
5) In 2009, Nkumba University awarded him an honorary doctorate of philosophy for his contribution towards the development of the Uganda's financial sector
Mutebile was appointed 9th Governor of Bank of Uganda on the 11th January 2011. He was re appointed for a five year term after his service on January 11th 2006.
In 1979, Mutebile was appointed deputy principal secretary to the president at the state house and then rose to senior economist in 1981 and then chief economist in 1984. In 1992 he became permanent secretary to the ministry of finance and planning and economic development.
Mutebile also has been working as a visiting professor in the department of Economics at Makerere University since 2006. He is the chancellor of the International University of East Africa that was established in 2011
He has worked as consultant world bank, international monetary fund, The organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Macroeconomic and Financial Management institute of the Eastern and Central Africa (MEFMI) UK department for international cooperation, the North South Institute Canada and for the government of Rwanda Eritrea, Kenya and Nepal
Jan 23, 2022